Exemplory instance of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a unique type of art that will help to comprehend the present-day history and to know the way the key tendencies of social development in the past were formed.
Come up with formation of styles at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture at the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules together with concepts of plot construction, reflecting the idea of orderliness and perfection associated with the universe, nature and society.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the last half of this eighteenth century was meant to teach and educate on examples and pictures that can cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided because of the proven fact that all evil may be overcome.
Within our literature up to the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing exactly the same goal: in order to make society perfect, by affirming the logical principles of morality plus the rules of human behavior. Techniques to achieve this goal in the philosophy of classicism were defined as the assertion associated with the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were considering a clear division of artistic designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies when the basis associated with the plot is without question important historical occasions, and actors – the gods and strongest of the world, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These people were related to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could simply be present in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance of this unity of the time, place, action and rules of constructing tragedy and drama with publicity, zygote, growth of action, culmination and resolution limited the chance of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the bond of cause and impact, quality expression for the main idea of the job. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the way of creative expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image associated with inner world of man and their closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel records come in the literary works. The development of sentimentalism greatly expanded the possibilities of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the interest of both writers and readers ended up being the fate of a typical person, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
In closing of essay give brief comparison of styles
Therefore, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be follows:
- The topic of the image within the works of classicism are essential, meaningful activities that determine wikipedia reference the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the established order and also the determined length of events.
- In the heart of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, effective at deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is just a literary trend when the foundation of this artistic method could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism doesn’t have such a division, because its task would be to teach the senses, using an array of visual opportinity for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism are a novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas in line with the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner world of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single person, it is possible to enhance the whole society.